Sunday, June 10, 2007

Week 2 Recap

I feel really good about this week because I ran through a head cold. I got out there and pounded my shoes into the pavement even though my body felt like crap. This is especially encouraging to me, because it was a cold that did in my first attempt at marathon training two years ago. Granted, that cold lasted about three times as long as this one did, but I still feel as though I made it over a significant mental hurdle by not skipping any runs. And as I mentioned in the log for day two, I just paced way down and focused on finishing, no matter how long it took. That is a skill that I anticipate might serve me well come September 16.

I'm also getting into a daily rhythm with the training runs. I'm now so used to running that the days off feel a little strange. Peaceful and satisfying, but still strange. It's another example of my body snapping into better shape—it expects exercise, every day. (Normally it just expects a few bowls of breakfast cereal and a meat product of some sort.) Again, I'm not in this for the fitness aspect, but I'll take it. And since I just found out my cholesterol is on the cheesy side of stellar, it's nice to know I can fix it with exercise and probably won't have to make any drastic dietary changes.

I had planned on writing about the C9 by Champion running shorts during this past week, but I ended up not really having a whole lot of extra energy for that, so I'll do it in the coming week. Let's just say that they're really good, but it occurred to me on Saturday that when it comes to chafing, there is no substitute for Vaseline. Not even nicely designed active wear.

No comments: