Sunday, June 3, 2007

Week 1 Recap

I'm sitting up in bed late Sunday night with slightly achy calves, reflecting on the first of sixteen training weeks leading up to the marathon. As I take deep breaths and glance occasionally at Tracey asleep next to me (she's running at 6:00 tomorrow morning), I realize two things: I am glad for the good this is already doing my body, and I am very excited that I'm not training alone.

I didn't get into this for the health benefit. There was never any plan to lose 15 pounds or tighten up my belly. Nonetheless, I am becoming fairly excited that I will soon be in the best shape of my life. My leg muscles and abdominal core are already feeling a little stronger and tighter. I already notice that simple things like flights of stairs don't wind me at all. The simple act of taking a deep breath feels stronger somehow. Even though my rationale for running a marathon is about achievement and not fitness, I must admit that I am pleased by these added benefits.

And I'm glad for the friends who are doing this with me. When I sheepishly admitted during our January goal-setting staff meeting that I was contemplating training for a marathon again, I anticipated doing it on my own. Instead, I have three other people who are pursuing the same goal, including the closest friend I have ever had, Tracey. Like almost anything worth doing, this challenge is better met in community.

The upcoming week is the same during the weekday runs, and the Saturday run increases by a mile: 3-4-3-6. My summer sports league is starting on Tuesday, too, so I will lose some of the benefit of my midweek rest day. I tell myself I'm going to take it easy on the field of play, but anyone who knows me and my competitiveness will get a chuckle out of that idea.

Also coming this week: my quick thoughts on the Champion C9 running shorts.

1 comment:

Bridgette said...

Hey Scott,
Sounds like you and Tracey had a good first training week. I was looking at your training schedule and it looks pretty good and seems like it'll get you guys in shape for the long haul. Tracey and I have been "talking" about marathon stuff. I'm going to keep up with you guys and see how things are going. I'm excited for you both about achieving this goal.
Cheers,
Bridgette